Monday, August 27, 2018

RIP Uncle Gram of WUSC's Red Bank Bar and Grill


Our joy at the thought of returning to the airwaves tomorrow evening was dashed when I got the call last evening that our dear friend, colleague, fellow-dj, and all around wonderful person, Mark Lyvers (aka Uncle Gram) had passed away. Our hearts are simply breaking.


Our friend and fellow DJ Mark Lyvers
aka WUSC's "Uncle Gram"


I'd been on the phone with his wife a half hour before and all was normal and I'd seen him recently on my weekly visit to the farm where I ride with his wife... and where my two former co-hosts "Claudette, the Blues Doggess" (aka Lawdy Miss Clawdy) and dear RockyDawg Blues Defender are buried so they can still do what they loved - run alongside Kee Kee the Wonderhorse (aka Stinkerbell) as he gallops up pastoral hillsides with me or Mark's wife Henri aboard. On that visit, Mark was alert and interested in tuning in to hear the launch of Blues Moon Radio's 29th year!

So. A shocking and sad surprise to so suddenly lose Mark. Of course, he had been suffering a long, progressive illness with no cure, but the fact is we thought he would be with us a whole lot longer.

His calm warmth, his intelligent and gentle communication, and his deep love for music which he took the time to know so much about were hallmarks of his radio show. He put every ounce of spare energy and time into giving his listeners the fullest experience they could have by listening. He meant so much to performers whom he lifted up and pushed out into the public's eyes and ears. He gave countless hours of spare time to help make the world a better place - and thanks in large part to his efforts, our world here in the Midlands (and rippling out across the globe) it worked! He was many times named best DJ in Free Times Best Of, editor's picks.

We lift him up to his eternal rest in the arms of his God - and know he is flipping those platters non-stop up in heaven. I suspect Gram Parsons is showing him around in thanks for all that fandom.

His name was taken from Uncle Tupelo and Gram Parsons - icydnk.

Our show tomorrow - one he often enjoyed subbing for under the pseudonym Muddy Rivers - will be in his honor. I'll try to do the best I can. I doubt I will measure up.

We already miss you so much, Mark. Rest well... you did good AND you did well.

Love,
Clair DeLune

No comments: