Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Valentine's and Mardi Gras Mashup on Blues Moon Radio 2/13/18




Valentine's and Mardi Gras Mashup
2/13/18
Blues Moon Radio 6-8 on wusc.sc.edu
with your hosts, Clair DeLune and Sonny Boy "Red" Jackson

Tonight we begin with a sad tribute to two icons in music:
Algia Mae Hinton inspired me as a Carolina musician, a female who could keep up with the best of anyone, and a hot-footed hoofer; but, she stood out in terms of the spirit of joy she evoked in others whenever she was around. She died last week at a ripe old age, having done more than I could ever aspire to accomplish. Righteous. Much love.

Sonny "Sunshine" Payne had the longest running radio show in the world when he signed off for the last time - not the longest-running blues show, but of any sort. I had often laughed when people would exclaim about how long I've been on the air (since 1990 - when few blues programs were on the radio and you had to have FCC licensure to do it and a terrestrial station that would close its eyes to the fact that blues never generates much income). Blues Moon joined the ranks of shows in the mid-double-digits - now they are a dime a dozen. If people spoke of my longevity, I quipped that I hoped to have the energy to come close to Sonny Payne's legendary status. It will never happen - I'm so tired I might soon RE-tire - but he does inspire, so perhaps I'll stick around until the kids at the station get me my "golden walker." Sonny was amazing, warm, supportive to everyone in the business and a friend to infinite numbers of folks - all of whom he influenced positively. I am glad to have been in his music and radio community orbit. Honored. Awed.

Now, on with the show. Mardi Gras and Valentine's Day went off this year and got congruent. It happens. So we had the birth of Valen-Gras.

Our spotlight falls on the following artists:
Papa Jazz Record Shoppe Artist of the Week: Bobby Rush
Word of Mouth Productions.org Artist of the Week: Bob Margolin
South Carolina Blues Artist of the Week: Skipp Pearson

Enjoy - in case you are not in love, we always include the disgruntled side of the lovey-dovey stuff. That happens, too. We're sorry. We have faith you will survive to love again. Meanwhile, laissez les bon temps rouler!

Upbeat note: McKissick Museum will be screening HBO's Treme - check the University of South Carolina webpage for McKissick events - I hear they chose Tuesdays - so you have my permission to miss some of my shows to attend.

Tribute to Hinton/Payne; plus ValenGras
Extra juicy Val-day heartache - oy!

 
We'll be doing a talk about "12 Things You Might Not Know about South Carolina Blues" Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2018 at the Cayce West Columbia Library from 6-8ish. Come hear some music lore; get a few gift copies of the book, South Carolina Blues signed for your lovvies and meet the author and host of Blues Moon Radio. Meet me there, greet me there!


 Don't forget to love up on those who make this show possible:
WUSC-FM
Papa Jazz Record Shoppe
Word of Mouth Productions
South Carolina Blues on Arcadia Publishing


and yours truly:
"Sonny Boy Red" Jackson and me - we look forward to serving you up some red hot Blues!
Clair DeLune



 
Our supporters:
As always we thank our long-time underwriters, who help bring great music to the Midlands all year around, because we could not imagine our show without their input and support:  Papa Jazz Record Shoppe, Word of Mouth Productions AND South Carolina Blues.
You can link to these orgs by clicking on the visuals...

http://www.wordofmouthproductions.org/ourstory.html
www.papajazz.com
 
 
This blog is brought to you  in part by:


South Carolina Blues
500 years of roots and blues music history in S.C.
by
Clair DeLune
on Arcadia Publishing 





No comments: