Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving and food is the theme for Tuesday's Blues Moon Radio Show


I'm excited about Thanksgiving!


As far as I'm concerned, this is a holiday that has special merit. I believe we can all benefit from taking a moment (each day, if possible) to status check our lives and focus on the things (large or small) that get ignored so that we can focus on whatever vexation happens to be topping our personal charts.

As humans, we are hard-wired to find discontent (don't kick yourself too much if you do that - just try not to do it TOO well) so that we can survive in the evolutionary spectrum that is "life on Earth." A positive way to look at that human trait is to say, "We're programmed to see what is wrong and 'make it better!'"

In so doing, let us not forget to be aware of all the good we have, for which we can and should be appreciative I'll let you figure out the best ways for you to do that for yourselves and your loved ones. My friend, Amy, taught me to write down something good I've done each day in a special book. It helps me turn problems into appreciation for what I have.

Thanksgiving is all of that with the amp turned to "11!" (thank you Spinal Tap), but it also comes with lots of delicious FOOD and an unmitigated abandon of all that is diet! Oh yeah! Sign me up, baby!

In that vein, the Blues Moon radio show will be on the air Tuesday evening from 6-8 p.m. on WUSC FM and streaming Internet, so I hope you will tune in to whet your appetite. We'll start with Mama's Recipe (from the lovely and delightful Wanda Johnson) and then seque into alternate types of menus from the standard turkey and all the fixin's - such as gumbo, fish and stew. Of course, we'll have to hit the All-American faves: chicken, turkey, ham and other meats (my apologies to our vegetarian and vegan listeners); then side dishes such as "sallet," potatoes and peas -- whirled peas, I suspect; and finish out with something for the sweet tooth, such as Cherry Red by our dear friend, Nappy Brown, who served me up some feasts at his house on many an occasion - and I'm giving a special nod to Cora's culinary masterpieces!

But, lest we forget, there are always those less fortunate and ways we can provide for them. I saw on TV today that the demand on food banks has risen 100 percent in the past year with the economic downturn. Not surprising. What is surprising is that they can do more with your dollar than you can... so while it is fine to give pantry staples that you might not use, it is best not to go shop in order to donate new goods. Give the money and it will not only go further, it provides for a more efficient and effective means of organizing and distribution to those who are in need.

Sadly, we will end the Thanksgiving Blues Feast with a deeply disturbing note: Starvation.

Let's all do our best to make sure everyone has something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving holiday as well as something in their tummies.

I'm thankful for my family, friends and all you kind listeners out there.

My wish for you is a wonderful, safe and happy holiday season.
Clair DeLune
The Blues Moon with Clair DeLune
WUSC-FM

Twitter: BluesMoonRadio
Facebook: Clair DeLune

No comments: